2007年6月10日

"標準"設計 - Criterion Collection (CC) 標準版DVD設計師談



個人最愛Criterion Collection DVD的封面設計。很多影迷與我一樣都為此而著迷,瘋狂收藏它的圖片製成WallPaper、或動手仿製封面,又或眾裡尋找Alternative封面——例如黑澤明《野良犬》與雲遜的《My Own Private Idaho》曾有兩個封面出現!但正式出街的只有一個。(見上二圖)

從網上閱讀到一篇Criterion設計師Eric Skillman親自講述設計DVD封面的歷程,跟大家分享一下:

==============

When I was designing the cover for Night and the City, I wanted to find a slightly different idiom to represent “noir,” to get away from the pulpy, dime-novel look that’s normally associated with that era and style. (Something I think illustrator Geoff Grandfield achieved brilliantly with his recent cover for Green for Danger, by the way.) I love that pulpy style on Raymond Chandler novels, but to me, most old film noir posters in that style pale in comparison to how artfully the films themselves are shot.

The film takes place in the seedy underbelly of the London Greco-Roman wrestling scene, which suggested plenty of design inspiration. I looked through vintage wrestling and boxing posters, and spent some time staring at the typography of my battered copy of Mike Watt’s “wrestling record,” Ball-hog or Tugboat? Another influence was the über-noir imagery of Frank Miller’s Sin City comics. I wanted to find a way to reproduce that ultra-high contrast look in a photographic context (this was before the Sin City movie, keep in mind), and the rough letterpress style of printing on those old wrestling posters provided me with my excuse.

My first round of comps basically split into those that said “wrestling” without really saying “noir” (though arguably with a title like that you shouldn’t have to work too hard to get “noir”):



…and those in which the two ideas were competing, rather than working together. Notice how the title is drowned out by all of the poster type, for example:



And then there were these, which I always kinda liked from a graphic perspective, even though they don’t really have much to do with anything:



So, some of the above seemed to have some potential, but none of them were quite there. Back to the drawing board, a little mix and match, and I wound up here:



Which was much closer. Some final tweaks to fix some outstanding problems (i.e. I realized I had just used that same background texture on Il Posto and I Fidanzati), and we arrived at the final cover:



At a certain point it was decided that Night and the City would pair with another Dassin noir classic, Thieves’ Highway, so I had to start thinking about the two designs as a matched set. With the aesthetic established by Night and the City, I tried a couple of different entry points to Thieves’ Highway. The seedy underbelly this time out was that of produce distribution. The wrestling poster type seemed to link nicely to the stenciled writing on Mike Figlia’s fruit crates, so I tried highlighting those:



I tried focusing on the truck itself, the setting for so much of the action:



I tried focusing on the romantic relationship:



But nothing quite captured the film. I kept thinking about the tragic ending, those apples strewn across the highway after the truck has careened down the hill. There was no single shot in the film that would translate to print with the right impact, so I had to try to capture the moment another way. I mocked up a quick sketch to test the waters. Everyone seemed cautiously intrigued by the idea, so I borrowed a digital camera and some lighting left over from a recent interview shoot. (Fun fact: we used that same spotlight to film the shadows that play over the Night and the City main menu animation—if I remember correctly, that’s Susan Arosteguy, Cat Tyc, and Ian Whelan walking back and forth in our old office atrium.) I bought a basket of apples. (Fun fact #2: the background texture on both of these packages is built from the paper grocery bag those apples came in.) I rolled the apples down the hallway leading from the art department past the audio offices, bumper bowling style, knocking them into each other as much as possible to get a nice chaotic pattern. I snapped a couple pictures, photoshopped them half to death, and incorporated them into the design:



I liked where this was going—I thought it was iconic, yet very specific to the film. It references the most intense scene in the film without really spoiling anything, but hopefully the air of menace and mystery are enough to draw in someone who hasn’t seen the film. I like a design that has those kinds of layers—you read it one way before you know exactly what it’s referencing, and another once you’ve seen the film. It sits nicely next to Night and the City but isn’t dependent on it. I recall it took a little convincing to get everyone to approve what was a relatively high-concept design, but ultimately I think we were all really happy with it.

================

Scene from 《The Night and the City 》



================


更多關於Criterion Collection,推薦你到criterionco blog

13 則留言:

匿名 說...

Firѕt of аll I wοuld lіke to say excellent blog!

I haԁ a quiсκ question ωhich I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
I waѕ curiouѕ to find out how уou center yourself аnd
clear уour mind bеfοre writing.
I hаve had а hard time cleаring mу mind
in gettіng my ideаs out. I do take pleaѕure in wгitіng but it just sеems like thе first 10 to
15 mіnutes are geneгally wasted ϳust tгying tо figure out hοw to bеgin.
Any suggestions oг tіps? Κudоs!



Here is mу ωeb blog - simply click The next site

匿名 說...

I always used to study piece οf writing
in neωs papers but now as Ӏ am а user of web therefoгe fгom nοw I аm using net for contеnt, thankѕ
to ωеb.

mу homеpage: http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php
my web site - http://www.Beauteetfemme.com

匿名 說...

You've made some good points there. I looked on the internet for more information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.

Here is my blog post; http://nlp-wiki.org/

匿名 說...

Its like you read my thoughts! You apρear to grasp so much apρroximately this,
such as you wrote the ebοoκ in it or something.
I believe thаt you just could do wіth some % to power the message house a bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

My web blog :: http://cybernet4u.com/index.php?do=/blog/59504/silkn-laser-hair-removing-procedure/
my web site > click through the up coming internet page

匿名 說...

Thiѕ is the right blog foг eveгyone who really
wants to understаnԁ thіs toρіс.
Үou know a whоlе lot itѕ аlmost hаrd to aгguе with уou (not that I
personally would ωant to…НaHa). You definitely put a nеw ѕρin on a topic that has been ωritten about foг manу years.
Wonderful stuff, ϳust wοnԁerful!


Here is my web blog :: http://www.kingofheartsmusic.com/blog/entry/king-size-love-18th-wedding-anniversary.html

匿名 說...

Trеmendοuѕ issues here. Ӏ am vеry glad to
seе youг pоst. Thankѕ sо much and I am
takіng a look aheaԁ to contact yοu.
Will you kindly ԁrоp me a mail?

my wеblog ... Www.Prweb.com

匿名 說...

My рartner and I stumbled over here fгom a different websitе and thοught I might check things out.
I like what I see so i аm just following you.
Looκ forward to goіng over your web ρage again.


Hеre іs my homepage ... http://www.3g-lan.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Replace_Your_Harmful_Cigarettes_With_Harmless_V2_Cigs

匿名 說...

Hello! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm definitely enjoying your blog
and look forward to new posts.

Also visit my website - iphone 5 design

匿名 說...

It is also a good idea to avoid any accidents, slips
or falls. All of these issues add to the interest that can be
produced about a site and this works for spots in this place and any place in the
world. In terms of sheer enjoyment, the Rollercoaster Tycoon series leads
the pack. Flight - simulator flight
simulation features highly detailed time of day modeling and
can track the current computer clock time in order to correctly place the sun, moon, stars, etc.
Every plane is actually the virtual model of the real aircraft, including the controls that
you can setup with the working, clickable cockpit.

匿名 說...

Hі there, You've done an incredible job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm sure they
ωill be bеnefited fгom this websіte.



Feel free to visіt mу weblog http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php

匿名 說...

You are seeking for a sixteen-pin receptor port
normally molded out of black plastic. The value of this merchandise is pretty rational.


Feel free to visit my page obd 2 scan tool

匿名 說...

http://paleodietrecipesbook.net/
http://howtoloseweightfastindays.com
http://purelivinghcg.com/
http://getlaid2night.us/male-enhancement
http://getlaid2night.us/penis-pump

鄭嘉迪 說...

真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
同城午夜免費交友網站
性感美女短裙快播情色視頻
成人倫理人妻熟女
日本美女AV裸體視頻
午夜同城交友聊天社區
夫妻視頻交友QQ群
黑色絲網襪美女視頻
視訊美女
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
同城視頻聊天室
午夜美女真人聊天室
聊天室哪個黃
碧聊視頻語音聊天室
聊天室你懂的
聊視頻語音聊天室
美女主播性感熱舞視頻
QQ樂真人視訊交友網
台灣甜心女孩視訊
夫妻真人秀視頻聊天室
夫妻真人秀視頻聊天室
173免費視訊
173免費視訊
台灣一對一視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
真人秀視頻聊天室
台灣真人視頻聊天網站
視訊聊天交友
視訊聊天交友
視訊美女
視訊美女
視訊美女
173免費視訊
金瓶梅視訊
live173影音視訊live秀
live173影音視訊live秀
live173影音視訊live秀
live173影音視訊live秀
live173影音視訊live秀
視訊聊天
視訊聊天
視訊聊天


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

熱門文章